Child Custody

Monmouth County Child Custody Lawyer

Representing parents & the best interest of the child Across New Jersey

When there are children involved, either in a divorce action as well as in matters involving unmarried parents, child support, the support each parent is responsible for the child(ren), is an issue that must be resolved. Our New Jersey child custody attorneys are well-trained in the determining factors of custody and are able to provide our clients with knowledgeable representation for parents or other relatives seeking custody of a child.

To learn more, call 732-217-7931 and schedule a consultation at Menar & Menar, Attorneys At Law.

International Child Custody

Are you a parent who wants to move to another country with the child, either after divorce or at the time of separation? Are you a parent who has already moved with the child and the other parent wants the child back? Or are you looking to prevent your child from moving out of the country? International moves come under more scrutiny, considering reasons for the move, distance, and conditions in the destination country. The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) ensure that relocation and custody questions are decided in the state or country where the child has been living.

​Psychological Parentage

The concept of Psychological Parentage was established in New Jersey by the State Supreme Court decision in V.C. v. M.J.B., 163 N.J. 200 (1999), a 1999 case in which the Court held that a person who is not a biological parent of a child may have the same standing as a biological parent to dispute issues of custody and parenting time provided certain elements are met. The attorneys at Menar & Menar are experienced in helping clients navigate the complexities of family law, including psychological parentage.

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), in New Jersey codified in N.J.S.A. 2A:34-53 to 95, is meant to resolve any confusion of what jurisdiction is to resolve custody/parenting time disputes when more than one State or country could. At Menar & Menar, our attorneys have extensive experience addressing the UCCJEA when both more than one State within our Union or country appears to have jurisdiction over a New Jersey custody and parenting time matter.

Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA)

The abduction/kidnapping of one's child is amongst the worst fears of any fears. When the kidnapping/abduction is committed by the other parent, New Jersey applies the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA), in which the attorneys at Menar & Menar have experience in advocating for our clients. The nightmare of having one's child abducted is sometimes compounded by the fact that the child has been taken outside of the United States. The United States is a signatory of The Hague Convention on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, and our attorneys are amongst the few with experience in representing clients in complex cases involving The Hague Convention and international abduction.

Grandparents Visitation

New Jersey has followed the trend by the other forty-nine states in enacting a Grandparents' Visitation Statute, that seeks to balance what is deemed to be the best interest of the child with the right of parents in deciding who does the child has contact with.  The attorneys at Menar & Menar has experience in navigating the complexities of these cases while always aggressively advocating for their clients. 

"Back in 2004 Paula helped me gain custody of my grandson Timothy. It was a very stressful time , his mother was my daughter who had substance abuse problems, the child's father was in Florida and was not able to care for him. She was a great help to me during this nightmare. He remained with me for the last 10 years. Tell Paula he graduated high school and began his freshman year at Drexel in Philadelphia. She was instrumental in making that happen, she was very caring and professional.​"

- Posted by Elizabeth on

  • Monmouth Bar Association
  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Hispanic Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association
  • Supreme Court of New Jersey Certified Attorney - Matrimonial Law

Frequently Asked Questions

Can a child choose which parent they want to live with?

While the court may take into account the preference of the child, ultimately, the judge must award custody based on what is in the child’s best interest; even if that goes against the child’s wishes.

Is there a bias against fathers in custody matters in New Jersey?

Family court judges in New Jersey are required to make custody decisions based on the best interests of the child(ren) and are not allowed to show bias because of the gender of the parent. That does not mean an individual judge is free of bias, but they must not let it affect their decision when awarding custody.

Can I have my ex declared as an unfit parent?

If you believe your co-parent is endangering your child you may be able to have them declared unfit. To do so, you will need evidence such as photos, videos, professional reports (doctors, custody evaluators), and testimony from people who witnessed the misbehavior.

How long does a custody case take in NJ?

A child custody case in NJ can take months. Your custody lawyer will arrange evidence and prepare you and your witnesses for your case. However, if you do not have a lawyer, there is help you can turn to if you take on this task yourself.

  • Evening & Weekend Phone/Video Consultations Available
  • Serving the Entire State of New Jersey
  • Personalized Legal Represenation
  • Se habla español

The Advocates You Need, The Experience You Can Trust